Monday, August 5, 2013

Introducing DJ Shaw

Welcome back and thank you for coming to check out another Monday of "Meet the Author". This Monday we will be meeting and talking with the awesome DJ Shaw.




Interview:

1. What's one of your biggest secret sources of inspirations (yes, you have to share with the world)?


Honestly, my husband is my biggest secret sources of inspirations. I usually come up with a story idea just by listening to him talk.


2. How do you feel about killing major characters in your work?


I’m not sure how to answer this question because I haven’t come to this issue as of yet in my work, but I think if it was part of the storyline or to even end a series (you don’t want a series to be too long do you?  I mean there comes a time when the readers just get bored with that character) then killing off a major character would be fine.


3. If you could team up any character from any of your pieces with a character of another franchise, who would it be and how do you think that interaction would turn out? 

I would love to team up Annalise from my “Devilish Delights and Rancid Offerings” piece with Merideth Gentry from Laurell K. Hamilton’s Merry Gentry series. I think Annalise might be able to learn a thing or two from the fairy princess that is Merry Gentry.


4. When killing a character in your writing (major/minor), how do you come up with your ideas, is it from being angry at someone or do you just go with the flow of the piece?


I go with the flow of the piece. All of my pieces seem to write themselves as I sit in front of my computer so when I killed Terry off in my “Things in the Mirror”, it just seemed to be what the characters needed.


5. If one of your pieces was placed in a time capsule to be opened in 50 years, which piece would you choose and why?


“Devilish Delights and Rancid Offerings” would be the piece I would choose and there are two reasons behind this. One: because it was my first piece ever published and Two: because the Leanan Sidhe are an underused and misunderstood mythos.


6. How do you come up with your pieces?


Everything around me; music, TV, movies, husband, even my kids, help me come up with my pieces. When it comes to the main characters and what they are in paranormal life, I never know until right before I finish the piece. I sit in front of my computer and just start typing whatever comes into my head. Sometimes it comes out as gibberish that I need to organize and sometimes it just becomes a piece that I’m proud of.


7. If you could bring any one character to life from your works, who would it be?


MacKenzie Spayde hands down


8. Would you ever create a character based on a real person in your life?


I have actually. In a piece I wrote titled “Cupids are Girls too”, I based the two male Cupids off of my husband and a friend of mine that I have known almost 20 years


Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment